ICARUMBA…. On Sunday after church service I started going through my recipes and looking online for what I wanted to make for the week. I go through cooking spurts, this week is one.
Monday Night- I made the Hamburger Wild Rice Hotdish, it was quick easy and yummy. Carl said he wanted something with chicken. I found a chicken crockpot recipe.
Tonight I made Crockpot Tex Mex Chicken off the Tasty Kitchen website. I was nervous because this morning my crockpot was talking back to me. The setting and the buttons were doing funny things, so all day during work I was nervous that I would come home to spoiled food. Good thing when Carl got home he called and said it looked like the crockpot worked. 🙂
On my way home I called my mom to ask what would be a good crockpot to look at. Mom never fails and sent me a bunch of awesome website links to read up on and find a crockpot.
Picture from my kitchen! 🙂
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 can (about 14 Oz. Size) Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 can (10 Oz. Size) Rotel
- 1 can (15 Oz. Size) Black Beans
- 8 ounces, weight Frozen Corn
- ¼ cups Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- 24 ounces, weight Chicken Breasts
Combine all ingredients, except chicken, in a crockpot and stir.
Lightly salt chicken on both sides and place in the crockpot mixture. Cook on low for 10 hours.
Remove lid 30 minutes before serving and use 2 forks to shred chicken. It should be tender enough that it easily falls apart. If not, remove to shred and then return to the mixture.
Along with the chicken, I made my Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe, it all together was delicious.
Cilantro Lime Rice-
- 3 tsp butter
- 2 TBS lime (1/2 lime per 2 servings)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 TBS chopped cilantro (or more)
- melt butter in saucepan over medium heat
- add lime and rice, fry for 1-2 minutes
- add water and bring to a boil
- reduce heat and cover until tunnels form in rice and water is fully absorbed (May need to add more water)
- add cilantro and serve
* I normally make this side with any taco meal we have. It is really easy to make and super easy. Sometimes I add a little lemon juice as well.
Happy Wednesday Night! Enjoy! 🙂